Thursday, May 17, 2007

Meet Gamer1800 :)

I asked Gamer to introduce himself, and he kindly answered the questions I suggested. So next time you see the Ind. BBO Beginner tournament on, join, or just stop and say hi :)

Why did you decide to make tournaments for beginners?
My decision to hold exclusive Beginner level tournaments has it's roots in my very basic temperament.

My main work has been in the Training field (Human resource development, Adult Education, Corporate Training, Communications/ledership/group dynamics Training etc.

My Basic Qualification is Graduateship in Engineering, after which I did several post graduate level studies.

I would rather stay anonymous and not tell my Real Name, because I have been a reasonably well known person in the Academic field and I would rather be just a humble "gamer" to all my friends, not the "imposing...Mr so and so".

I am Male, in my mid 60's, and now my health is not very good.

While playing, because of my humble and friendly nature, many Beginners confided in me and I realised they were in need of encouragement to play in tournaments. It was just an "inner urge" ,stemming out of my very basic nature, I would say, that I decided to hold a few exclusive tourneys and see how it works out.

BIL holds it's own sessions, however, I found that many of the BIL tourneys were "teaching" type, where the hands were "discussed" later on. Undoubtably, an excellent learning session, but not a simple "fun place " to play just tourneys and enjoy. The BIL "pure" Tourneys are few, and you must be knowing that those have BBO masterpoint status, hence VERY SERIOUS tournaments again.

Your plans for the tournament (usual time-slots etc)?
I live in India, and my Internet connection is not very reliable. Indian time is GMT+5 hr 30 mins. My convenient times are usually afternoons, and evenings. However, at times I also find myself free during my mornings (11 am approx) and Late night (after 11 pm). I am always scared when I host a trny that my net may go down. Luckily nikky has been very kind to be my co-TD in most of my tourneys till now. Because of my net/power unreliability, I can not make a "fixed" time slot for my tournaments. However, as you have noticed, I try to be there around 5.00 pm my time as far as I can.

A few words about yourself and bridge?

I began playing bridge in 1963, played intensively for almost 15 years before work and other commitments took me away from bridge. I was also a good chess player during those days :).

Only a few years back, after retiring from active work, I started playing bridge again, now only on internet because my health does not permit me to go and play in clubs.

I play for fun, I am not interested in "masterpoints/championships/STARS/blha blah...." and I think that is how any card game (except gambling with real money) should be played.

Unfortunately, I am in minority. As Alan Truscott has said "Bridge is essentially a social game, but unfortunately it attracts a substantial number of antisocial people".

Beginner BBO is my humble effort to make bridge a social and enjoyable event, and encourage our Beginner friends.

I am a BELIEVER. If people can really enjoy and benefit themselves from my humble efforts, I shall consider myself blessed that the LORD thought me a suitable person to serve some people.

I thank you for your kind interest.

May God be with you ALWAYS

Gamer

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBO sure needed a Gamer. His efforts fill a big void, and Beginners would surely welcome this selfless service.

Well Done Gamer!! Keep it up !!!

McMom said...

I'm sooo very impressed with Gamer's efforts and integrity. Thank you Gamer

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job Gamer thank you:-)

tvilling said...

I'm Beginner and I really appreciate Gamer's initiative for these tournaments. Thank you Gamer :-)

Anonymous said...

excelent wonderful enjoyable cant wait for the next ones i can play in

Anonymous said...

Beginners can now look forward to some tournaments without having to listen to the sarcastic and rude remarks of the inconsiderate higher level players. Gamer's honest efforts are not only appreciated by beginners, but by many of us who have mentored new bridge players. I thank Gamer for initiating a new movement in BBO.

Anonymous said...

ty gamer,

i like playing just for fun and to progress and i think it s a very good idea to make a tournament for beginner

Kiss Hug Kiss said...

Very good. God said" let there be light" and so there was light. God said let there be a card game and so there was "bridge". You have to start with baby steps and grow. How the rude/sarcastic easily forget that they were babies.

Anonymous said...

I played in Beginner BBO for the first time today. I have been afraid of playing tournaments until I heard about Beginner BBO.

Gamer's warm and friendly words helped me overcome my fears. Thank you Gamer for this service, you sure helped me a lot to build up my self confidence and self-esteem.

henleyma said...

Now my message disappeared off so will go again UR Fairy Godmother finally found out where u are and I want to say how pround oI am for u getting this Beginner trny set up for us beginners. I too want to thank BBO for such a good clean enviroment for us all over the world to play in a great game of bridge. Thanks again gamer for being u ur fairy godmother of bridge

Anonymous said...

Gamer is the nicest personne I have ever met...thank you Gamer for the great job you are doing for us beginners.....yaleo:)

Anonymous said...

from novice to be star...
great idea....

Hanna767 said...

Hello Gamer. Thank you for Beginner tornament - it's very goog idea :) I am psychologist, and I understand very well what means yours job for you. Be happy Gamer :)

Unknown said...

Aka Rainei.

Thanks for the Beginner BBO tournament and to all those who organised it. I'm already having a good time, and pulling off tricks that I've never quite been able to do before.

It's helped me a lot with my bridge play.

Unknown said...

Gamer, thank you for being there for us 'beginners'. I always look for your name to see if and when you are having your tournaments. It's the one place to play without any tension and anxiety.

DocHelm said...

Gamer, if you need any help in holding tourneys for beginners, I would be more than willing to help anytime...BBO nickname is DocHelm. Keep up the good work. I feel strongly that the ONLY way to learn bridge is by having fun and getting experience, not attending lessons, classes and reading a book.

Anonymous said...

I thank all the friends who have posted their encouraging comments.

From my experience as a Trainer, I know that Teaching is "intellectual" while Learning is "experiencial". My humble attempt is directed to provide a platform for the beginners to LEARN THROUGH EXPERIENCE, while at the same time ENJOY playing in a very informal and stress free environment.

I request those who visit this page to kindly leave some suggestions on how to improve Beginner BBO.

Thank you again for sparing your valuable time to read this page.

DocHelm said...

I had the wonderful experience and opportunity to meet, talk to, and assist Gamer1800 in the BBO Beginner tourney today. I have volunteered to assist Gamer daily at the same time, if he needs me. I look forward to meeting more of his friends, and can not wait for the next BBO Beginners tourney. Experience is the best teacher by far.