Thursday, May 3, 2007

Kvetch!

Just in case you wondered what "kvetch!" is, most dictionaries suggest it means "to complain persistently and whiningly". I first encountered the word way back when a tamagochi friend sent me the link to a now deceased website, www.kvetch.com, which was a forum for people to complain about anything and everything, and get a friendly hug in return. Frankly, I prefer this extended meaning, even if it might not comply fully with the dictionary definition.
Sooooooooooo... After about 16 hours of non-stop gruelling translation, and 3 hours of nightmares, I got up, made a mug of coffee, logged into BBO and enrolled in an indy in order to wake up. The very first board spelt disaster - and it also proved disasters tend to come in threesomes.
OK, here it is:

2D was alerted as "waiting", merrily we rolled along to 4S, and went down 2 a bit later.
Sunshine: sorry p, but u cant bid 4 !S with 5 points
fractal: p, you had a 6-loser balanced hand, why open 2!c?
Sunshine: plz plz plzzzzz
fractal: sry about that game
Sunshine: npp
Well, at least we didn't get into a cat-fight about it! I wasn't being hypocritical, either - I did feel sorry about the game, but not about the bid. I still think - and I might be wrong - that bidding 2C on a balanced 6-loser with 19HCP is not the right thing to do, and Sunshine will probably continue to do that. Different strokes...

The second disaster was very funny; unfortunately, it involved one of the BBO-starred players I love to kibitz best! After I recovered from the initial shock of playing WITH a star (somehow, playing against a star is less intimidating), we got this wonder deal:

The 4D bid was, naturally, a splinter - and Star, naturally, looked at my profile and, deducting that it cannot have been a splinter, bid 5D. Yours truly had a dilemma: if Star thinks I am a rookie and the 4D bid is not a splinter, he must be confirming a diamond fit, so we can't have slam; if he did take it to be a splinter, then I don't know what he is trying to convey with the 5D bid because I am really a rookie but it doesn't look like good news, so better escape to 5S as a sign-off. And we, naturally, missed a slam!

fractal: glp
Star: thx..sry pd..I believed your own profile :)
fractal: sry - but what do you mean? :)
Star: later
fractal: ok :)
Star: you said: then I am going to bid someth. stupid.....so I was not sure I 4!d was splinter or 8-9 !d s..:)
And just when I thought life couldn't really get much harsher this early am, I ran into PartnerFromHell. He moaned when I led K, and then A out of AKxxx, picking his Q on the second round, and went absolutely ballistic during the second board - so I am really not sorry I passed his forcing bid! If I ever run into him again, I will do it over and over, and then some! - unless I can get him to play his splinter as a 4-level contract at least! I do realise that we can't be nice to everybody all the time, and maybe he is a brain-surgeon or a forex trader whose ex had just left him for the proverbial plumber, leaving behind her hateful cat which had just devoured his favourite gold-fish, but still.. there are limits... And telling your partner "fy" is transgressing them quite a bit.

P.S. Sunshine and Star are not the real nicknames of the people involved. And I removed the quote from "Something Stupid" from my profile, just in case...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear elena, reading your post, i only can see your partners like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfKuPhd0q0k

Kiss

fractal said...

LOL... Oh no! Kinski is actually one of my favourite actors! Thnx, I needed a hug badly. :)

Anonymous said...

2C is obviously a terrible opening choice, of course you would push to game opposite a 2C opener. "Can't bid game with only 5 points" is a ridiculous statement. Also, 4S looks to my inexpert eyes that it should only be down 1.

-goobers

fractal said...

I think so, too, Chtis - but that is the flip-side of playing indies, you never know what you get and no time to even get to the same page!

Anonymous said...

That's true, but things such as not opening 2C on a flat 19 count is something you should be able to count on with a competent partner and does not require discussion. If your partner opens 2C on hands like this and sees no problem, then if I were in your seat, I would give myself the license to bid whatever it takes to win, no matter how ridiculous :)